Most of you may remember me detailing the process of saving the Luna Sculpture. For those that are new, I had to cut the head of the sculpture because the entire thing dried out too much which caused serious cracks that compromised it's structural integrity. The head was the only part unaffected. Post showing damage
and Luna Sculpture Rescue Post
I went to campus to see my teachers and to check up on the head to see if it had been fired. I'm happy to report that it has gone through it's bisque fire (or low-fire). I'm afraid I didn't grab any pictures. I got caught up talking with my sculpting teacher and completely forgot. A few cracks formed during the firing process. Most are minor but there is a big one where the mane attaches to the neck. There's really nothing I could have done about it. Clay shrinks by about 10-13% when it goes through the kiln. Cracks were pretty much inevitable.
Because it cracked, I have two maybe three options.
- Keep it natural and leave the cracks the way they are. This will make it seem that it has been aged and weathered over the course of many years.
- Fill in the cracks with plaster and paint it a solid color. Probably a flat white or something close to a natural marble color.
- Fill in the cracks with plaster and paint it with show accuracy or as close as I can get.
I'm leaning towards the first or second options. I really don't want to use Luna's actual colors because I sculpted her with the intention of her being the natural color of the clay or a solid color. I honestly don't think painting her to accuracy would translate well, plus I'd lose the details I painstakingly carved in.
My sculpting teacher said he'd throw it in the next high fire he does which should be relatively soon. I'm going to go back sometime at the end of this month or the beginning of May before school lets out to see how it turns out. I'll let you guys know when that happens.